04/05/2018 – The end of KE7
King Edward VII School was an LEA maintained 14-19 comprehensive secondary school in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire in England which closed in 2011. The school was situated on a 56-acre green field site on the edge of Melton Mowbray.
Everyone who went school in melton mowbray went to King Edward VII school we all new everyone in our years and it was a big part of the lives of many who grew up in the town. when i was their there where nearly 2000 student but it went into massive decline in its final years. Despite the issues it had and the feelings we all had toward it it was a massive shame to see it go. many friends were found and many memories made inside the school over the 100 plus year that it stood and no further generation will quite understand the community that comes with you all going to the same school.
when we returned a recently it was a shadow of its former self but did bring back memories visiting the various classrooms we remembered from our time there and hope that, if you were one of the many that attended, you can spot your own classrooms and memories in the footage we were able to get before it was destroyed.
In June 1909 the first head-teacher, Dr Fred Hodson was appointed; 93 applications had been received for the position. The School was christened the County Grammar School of King Edward VII. The school’s royal authorisation to use the name was challenged, but before proof could be obtained the King died. It took an intervention from MPs before the Board of Education finally confirmed the new King had agreed the use of his father’s name. On 13 April 1910 Thomas Cope, Chairman of Leicestershire County Council and, of the Education Committee, was presented with a key to the school by its architect, Mr Shelbourn. Mr Cope was something of a key collector due to all the new schools at the time. The first sports day took place on 20 June 1912. School houses were introduced earlier that year: Belvoir – red, Cottesmore – yellow, and Quorn – blue. Popular events included pillow fights, needle-threading, skipping races and bean bag races. In 1914 the first Old Pupils’ Association was started with Bob Spikes, the school’s first head boy as secretary. In 1931 plans for large extensions and rebuilding were discussed. In 1936 the building of the new assembly hall began, while the old domestic science block was replaced with a two storey block, which were finally opened on 25 November 1937. In the 1940s the Old Grammarians’ started a memorial fund to build a pavilion for the school in memory of those who had died during the two world wars; it was opened on 24 July 1954. During 1958 two new buildings were built to the east of the original school. One of which was shared with the Boys Modern School. The Leicestershire Plan in 1959, the brainchild of Mr S C Mason, Director of Education at Leicestershire County Council, brought about a radical change in secondary schools in the Melton area. During this period, in 1964 the County Grammar School was renamed King Edward VII Upper School. Under the plan the Boy’s Modern School and the Sarson Girls School were phased out and replaced by three co-educational feeder schools, including the new Ferneley High School. The School campus continued to grow: in 1975 a new six form block was opened, and a new sports hall was built. The all-weather pitch and the music centre were opened in 1991, followed by the Community Sports Centre in February 1996. In June 1997 King Edward VII School gained Technology College Status. This set to work the major project of creating an Independent Learning Centre (Iliad) and improving the design facilities. The Iliad centre was opened in January 1998. On Tuesday 9 March 2010 the County Council Cabinet agreed to the proposal to close King Edward VII School in September 2011, as they predict falling pupil numbers will make it unsustainable.