Elvaston Castle is a stately home in Elvaston, Derbyshire, England. The Gothic Revival castle and surrounding parkland is run and owned by Derbyshire County Council as a country park known as, Elvaston Castle Country Park. The country park has 200 acres (0.81 km2) of woodlands, parkland and formal gardens.
Elvaston Castle remained a private home until 1851, when the 5th Earl, Leicester Stanhope, opened the gardens to the public, charging an entrance fee. It wasn’t until the late 1930s that William Stanhope, the 11th Earl, left Elvaston for the final time.
From 1939-1950 the Castle housed a teacher training college that had been evacuated from Derby during the War. The Castle and Estate were sold to the Needlers Development Company in 1963, who sold them to Derbyshire County Council in conjunction with Derby Corporation in 1969.
Over the years, the condition of the Castle has declined as the costs of repairs and renovation have escalated. For many years, regular public access has been limited to just one room, which is used as a tearoom, with the occasional use of the Gothic Hall for functions and weddings.